Monday, September 8, 2008

Reflections

So I've been thinking a lot lately about high school. I've reconnected with some of my best friends from those great years. Yes I said that they were great! I truly can't remember many really bad times in high school. There was this time when I took out my best friends secret crush to the big freshman dance. That didn't go over very well on just about every account imaginable... I was late, she had a horrible time and... well I think that's enough of that story.

Everything else was really fun! I don't remember worrying about anything. If we could dream it we could do it. Mike Jensen and I made up some of the best group dates ever and I believe that we really were on the leading edge of the popular creative dating trend in LDS society. One of my favorites was the Plan of Salvation Date. It was so awesome!

I don't remember sitting around very much and it seems like I was always doing some kind of activity with friends, hanging out in the TImimos' man cave (garage), tooling around the Vancouver back roads with Jared only breaking a few traffic laws. I spent a little time at the Ogden household which was the safest and most uplifting place any high school kid could be. Though I think that Emily and Sarah got a little fed up with me at times and i don't think that Brian really liked the idea much. They introduced me to bean soup and tuna on toast! What great times!!!

I don't think that I was best friends with everyone in High School. I can think of a few fellow priests who didn't care for me much but I don't remember that ever bothering me. What I remember most from High School was a that I had friends who excepted me for who I was, with all of my weaknesses and faults. I had friends who helped me set rules to stay pure. I had friends who were great examples!

I feel that I had one of the best High School experiences possible and I hope that those that were there with me felt the same way. It may be true that I only remember the good times and none of the tough times but hey I'm okay with that.

So a special thanks from my wife and I to all those who took part in molding a goofy boy into a semi decent adult. My parents are at the top of my list as they are the most Christlike people I know and at the same time the hardest working... not to infer that the Savior wasn't hard working.... Then in no specific order; Mike, Angel, Tim, Eric, Stacie, Womack, Draper, Lori, Dan and Bev, Jared, Reed, Michael, Ben, and Livvy. I know that there are more people that I missed... always a worry with such a list... I'm sorry if you were missed. Just pretend that you weren't and send me an email so I can add you!

I'm overfilled with joy that I reconnected with some of these people in the past week. A few years have passed since high school but the memories are still very precious to me.

5 comments:

nAnnie Laurie said...

This is from Livvy...I am on Mom's laptop. I love that post! It's so great to be able to remember the good times we all had in High School. Those were truly some of the best years for growing, learning from BIG mistakes, and making lasting friendships like you. Thank you for all you did for me...you know what you did. :) You were the best friend a girl like me could have ever hoped to find. THANK YOU! I know that Tim is eternally grateful as well. :)

Becky G said...

Isn't it funny that I've traveled um..yup hundred miles to see you and your family and I have no idea where that "secret crush" is? I only got to meet some of the friends that you've mentioned in your posting a time or two, but they made an impressionable impact on me as well. I only wish I could have known them better. I wish I could have been there, but I thought you were still in Everett:) Hi Livvy!!!! And to your parents Phil, they are truly amazing people who have left an everlasting impression in my mind and heart. My deepest love and appreciation. (Even though I was a victim of an aggravated assault with a butter knife) But Jon was only three and couldn't be tried as an adult. Love you much buddy, thanks for the memories. Cherrish yours. Michael

North Family Arizona said...

becky g, AKA Michael... I know that you're married and really one person but I had to read your comment twice before the confusion left me. Thank you for not giving up on me in those years. I guess I should have told you that we moved to Vancouver.... Just for the record I have to state that I don't think that I was that great of a friend in high school. Rather, I had people who were good friends to me.

North Family Arizona said...

Livvy, Thanks, the feelings are mutual. I'm so happy for you and Tim and am grateful that things happen in our lives to give us experience and help us to the next step. You have created a beautiful family!

Emily Marie said...

So Phil, I was thinking how sad it is that you remeber me as being annoyed or fed up...sorry about that, didn't we have fun sometimes? hehehe, I know we did. Glad you found our home to be a great place to be, I liked it too! :)